...

...

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Weak Wolves gift Utd top



WOLVES could face a Premier League rap after making TEN changes at Manchester United.
Manager Mick McCarthy left out every outfield player from the side that won 1-0 away at Tottenham on Saturday.




Wolves face fellow strugglers Burnley on Sunday and rested key men as Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Antonio Valencia goals put United joint top with Chelsea.
McCarthy's second string had made only 41 Premier League appearances for Wolves between them this season.
Travelling fans reacted angrily with chants of "we want our money back" and there were also songs of "where is our first team" and "£40 to watch the reserves" from the away end.
Defiant McCarthy said: "I played the best team available to me. The fittest, best and strongest I could pick, that hadn't played on Saturday.
"That was my best team available because they were all fresh legs.
"I can understand the fans but that is my first team. I've got 21 players to pick from and they are all first-team players.
"I hope fans understand that. My decisions will be judged on whether we stay in the Premier League."
George Friend and Stefan Maierhofer were making their first league starts for the club.
Keeper Marcus Hahnemann was the only survivor of the team that won at Spurs three days earlier and Wolves now have five days to prepare for the visit of Burnley.
Section E, paragraph 20 of the Premier League's handbook states: "In every League match each participating club shall field a full-strength team."
A fine - or even the deduction of points - is within the powers of the Premier League.




United's rivals Chelsea will take a dim view of McCarthy's team selection.


But McCarthy added: "I'm not bothered about the reaction from anybody else.
"I make decisions for the good of my players and the good of the club.
"I knew those questions would be asked of my decisions but what I haven't got is any more injuries."
Last season United boss Alex Ferguson made 11 changes at Hull ahead of the Champions League final despite Tigers being in a relegation scrap.
Ferguson said: "Wolves put up a good show considering it was mostly their second string out.
"It wasn't surprising, given that they have Burnley on Sunday."


..............................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment