...

...

Friday, December 4, 2009

Giggsy is Utd's greatest ever

LEGENDS ... Paul Scholes reckons Ryan Giggs is Manchester United's best-ever player


PAUL SCHOLES has hailed Manchester United team-mate Ryan Giggs as the club's greatest-ever player.
The midfielder reckons Wales star Giggs, 36, will go down as the Red Devils' best performer — ahead of the likes of George Best, Bobby Charlton and Eric Cantona.

Scholes, 35, said: "When Ryan retires he won't just be regarded as one of the greats — he'll be the one and only.

"To be here 20 years and still going strong and playing as well as ever, I think that he will be the one who stands out when he retires."

Giggs has won a staggering 30 honours with United since making his debut as a 17-year-old in 1991.

His haul of silverware includes 11 league titles, four FA Cups and two Champions League trophies.

Scholes added: "The secret of Ryan's success is his sheer professionalism. He has been a top player for nearly 20 years.

"I would have thought he's probably the best player this club has ever had. He just keeps going stronger and stronger.

"Each time he plays he seems to create a goal or score one himself. He has just been fantastic to play with."

Despite heaping praise on Giggs, Scholes admits his own recent performances have not quite been up to scratch.

The former England ace has failed to hold down a regular place in Alex Ferguson's side this season and is out of contract next summer.

And having celebrated his 35th birthday last month, Scholes knows he will have to assess his plans for the future in the coming months.

He said: "I wouldn't say I am playing some of my best football. I don't always feel I am making as much of a contribution as I'd like to.

"I always preferred it when I was playing regularly and scoring a lot more goals. Now, it's different.

"I play once every two or three weeks and I can only hope to do well when I get the chance. I don't have a choice.

"Obviously, every player wants to play every week but I know now it can't always happen. I just have to be okay with that."

And as for his future?

He added: "You do think about it, but I'm not too sure.

"I'll just carry on with the way it it's going at the moment and we'll see what happens come the end of the season."

....................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment